All the faithful are invited to participate in the celebration of the Chrism Mass on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. at St. James Cathedral in Orlando. The Chrism Mass is celebrated during Holy Week and is one of the most solemn and significant liturgies of our Church.
During the Chrism Mass Bishop Noonan will bless and consecrate the Holy Oils that pastors carry back to their parishes where they will be part of sacramental and other celebrations for the coming year, beginning with the Easter Vigil. The three Holy Oils are the Oil of Catechumens, the Oil of the Sick, and the Oil of Chrism. The first is used for adult catechumens and infants, the second for anointing the sick, and the sacred Oil of Chrism for Baptism, Confirmation, the ordination of priests, and the consecration of altars. All three are basically an olive oil; Chrism is combination of oil and balsam.
Also during the Chrism Mass, priests renew their commitment to the priesthood and display their unity with the Bishop. In the Diocese of Orlando, all priests who are able to attend concelebrate the Mass.
Jubilarians are honored during the Chrism Mass. Our Diocese rejoices with the following priests who are celebrating 25 and 50 year anniversaries of their ordination.
- Father Binh Tran, Ascension Catholic Church, Parochial Vicar
- Father Stephen Baumann, Annunciation Catholic Church, Parochial Vicar
- Father Bassam Saade, St. Jude Catholic Church Maronite Rite, Pastor
- Father Ronald Oser, Prince of Peace Catholic Church (Retired)
- Father John Durkin, St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church (Retired)
- Father Sean Heslin Our Saviour Catholic Church (Retired)
- Father Thomas Shea, C.S.C. (Retired)
- Father Raymond Zeugner, St. Matthew Catholic Church, Winter Haven (Retired)
Bishop Noonan invites all the faithful who cannot attend to watch the live stream of the celebration at: http://live.orlandodiocese.org/