Let us pray for Bishop Noonan and all who traveled to Tallahassee April 4-6 for Catholic Days at the Capitol including Catholic Charities of Central Florida’s Office of Advocacy and Justice. May their voices be heard!
About Catholic Days at the Capitol:
Each year Catholics from around the state gather in Tallahassee to participate in Catholic Days at the Capitol. This two-day event provides the opportunity to put into action our faith’s call to political responsibility and allows us to strengthen the presence of our Catholic values in the public square. By joining with Floridians who share our faith to advocate for laws that protect and defend human life and dignity, we can give a voice to some of the most vulnerable and marginalized populations in our state and help promote the common good for all of Florida’s residents.
Catholic Days activities include:
- A legislative briefing on policy issues affecting human life and dignity
- Pre-scheduled meetings with lawmakers
- A luncheon for Catholic Days participants, Florida’s bishops and legislators
- Group photos of each diocesan delegation with their bishop
- Tours of the current and historic capitol buildings
- The opportunity to view the legislative process in action during committee meetings or floor sessions
- Annual Red Mass of the Holy Spirit celebrated by the bishops of Florida to pray for those working in the legislative, judicial and executive branches of government
- Codifying the Florida Pregnancy Support Services Program in Florida statutes – SB 1130 (Bean) / HB 969 (Toledo)
- Creation of the Criminal Justice Reform Task Force – SB 458 (Brandes) / HB 387 (Peters)
- Increased educational options for parents – SB 902 (Simmons) & SB 1314 (Grimsley); HB 15 (Sullivan)
photo by Ann Ford Tyson