The Holy Father has appointed the following prelates as Synod Fathers for the forthcoming Thirteenth Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, due to take place from 7 to 28 October on the theme: “The New Evangelization for the Transmission of the Christian Faith”.
– Cardinal Angelo Sodano, dean of the College of Cardinals.
– Cardinal Joachim Meisner, archbishop of Cologne, Germany.
– Cardinal Vinko Puljic, archbishop of Vrhbosna-Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
– Cardinal Polycarp Pengo, archbishop of Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania and president of SECAM/SCEAM (Symposium of the Episcopal Conferences of Africa and Madagascar).
– Cardinal Christoph Schonborn O.P., archbishop of Vienna, Austria.
– Cardinal George Pell, archbishop of Sydney, Australia.
– Cardinal Josip Bozanic, archbishop of Zagreb, Croatia.
– Cardinal Peter Erdo, archbishop of Esztergom-Budapest, Hungary and president of CCEE (Council of European Episcopal Conferences).
– Cardinal Agostino Vallini, His Holiness’ vicar general for the diocese of Rome.
– Cardinal Lluis Martinez Sistach, archbishop of Barcelona, Spain.
– Cardinal Andre Vingt-Trois, archbishop of Paris, France.
– Cardinal Oswald Gracias, archbishop of Bombay, India and secretary general of FABC (Federation of Asian Bishops’ Conferences).
– Patriarch Francesco Moraglia of Venice, Italy.
– Archbishop John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan of Abuja, Nigeria.
– Archbishop Hector Ruben Aguer of La Plata, Argentina.
– Archbishop Antonio Arregui Yarza of Guayaquil, Ecuador, president of the Ecuadorian Episcopal Conference.
– Archbishop John Atcherley Dew of Wellington, New Zealand, president of FCBCO (Federation of Catholic Bishops’ Conferences of Oceania).
– Archbishop Jose Octavio Ruiz Arenas, secretary of the Pontifical Council for Promoting New Evangelisation.
– Archbishop Jose Horacio Gomez of Los Angeles, U.S.A.
– Archbishop Carlos Aguiar Retes of Tlalnepantla, president of CELAM (Latin American Episcopal Council).
– Archbishop Bernard Longley of Birmingham, England.
– Archbishop Ricardo Antonio Tobon Restrepo of Medellin, Colombia.
– Archbishop Luis Antonio G. Tagle of Manila, Philippines.
– Archbishop Filippo Santoro of Taranto, Italy.
– Bishop Javier Echevarria Rodriguez, prelate of the Personal Prelature of Opus Dei.
– Bishop Dominique Rey of Frejus-Toulon, France.
– Bishop Menghisteab Tesfamariam M.C.C.J., eparch of Asmara, Eritrea.
– Bishop Benedito Beni dos Santos of Lorena, Brazil.
– Bishop Santiago Jaime Silva Retamales, auxiliary of Valparaiso, Chile and secretary general of CELAM.
– Bishop Luigi Negri of San Marino-Montefeltro, Italy.
– Bishop Alberto Francisco Sanguinetti Montero of Canelones, Uruguay.
– Bishop Enrico Dal Covolo S.D.B., rector of the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome.
– Fr. Julian Carron, president of the Fraternity of Communion and Liberation.
– Fr. Renato Salvatore M.I., superior general of the Clerks Regular Ministers to the Sick (Camillians).
– Fr. Heinrich Walter, superior general of the Schoenstatt Fathers.
– Fr. Jose Panthaplamthottiyil C.M.I., prior general of the Carmelites of Mary Immaculate.