Pope Francis announced, at the end of today’s Angelus, that on 14 February 2015, feast of St. Valentine, a consistory will be held for the creation of twenty new cardinals – fifteen electors and five non-electors – originating from fourteen countries from all over the world, demonstrating “an indissoluble bond between the Church of Rome and the particular Churches present throughout the world”. Photo: Reuters
The day after the consistory, the Holy Father will preside at a concelebration with the new cardinals, while on 12 and 13 February a consistory will take place with all the cardinals to reflect on the orientations and proposals for reform of the Roman Curia.
The new cardinal electors are:
- Archbishop Dominique Mamberti, titular of Sagona, prefect of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura;
- Patriarch Manuel Jose Macario do Nascimento Clemente of Lisbon, Portugal;
- Archbishop Berhaneyesus Demerew Souraphiel, C.M., of Addis Abeba, Ethiopia;
- Archbishop John Atcherley Dew of Wellington, New Zealand;
- Archbishop Edoardo Menichelli of Ancona-Osimo, Italy;
- Archbishop Pierre Nguyen Van Nhon of Ha Noi, Vietnam;
- Archbishop Alberto Suarez Inda of Morelia, Mexico;
- Archbishop Charles Maung Bo, S.D.B., of Yangon, Myanmar;
- Archbishop Francis Xavier Kriengsak Kovithavanij of Bangkok, Thailand;
- Archbishop Francesco Montenegro of Agrigento, Italy;
- Archbishop Daniel Fernando Sturla Berhouet, S.D.B., of Montevideo, Uruguay;
- Archbishop Ricardo Blazquez Perez of Valladolid, Spain;
- Bishop Jose Luis Lacunza Maestrojuan, O.A.R., of David, Panama;
- Bishop Arlindo Gomes Furtado of Santiago de Cabo Verde, Cape Verde;
- Bishop Soane Patita Paini Mafi of Tonga, Tonga.
The five non-electors are:
- Archbishop Jose de Jesus Pimiento Rodriguez, emeritus of Manizales, Colombia;
- Archbishop Luigi De Magistris, pro-major penitentiary emeritus, Italy;
- Archbishop Karl-Joseph Rauber, apostolic nuncio, Germany;
- Archbishop Luis Hector Villalba, emeritus of Tucuman, Argentina;
- Bishop Julio Duarte Langa, emeritus of Xai-Xai, Mozambique.