Originally conceptualized by the Most Reverend Patrick Barry, Bishop of St. Augustine, and Reverend Mother M. Gerald Barry, Prioress General of the Dominican Sisters of Adrian, Michigan, plans for Barry College received active support from Reverend William Barry, Pastor of St. Patrick’s Church of Miami Beach, and John Thompson, Mayor of Miami Shores, Florida. In June 1940, a forty-acre tract of tropical vegetation located in residential Miami Shores was transformed into the campus of Barry College. By action of the Board of Trustees, the college became Barry University on November 13, 1981. Today’s University community is comprised of approximately 7,000 students, served by well over 700 administrators, faculty members, and support staff representing diverse religious, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds. Barry is coeducational and fully accredited.
Since Barry first opened its doors in 1940, the faculty and administration have combined efforts to develop high quality academic programs so that needs of both the students and the local community would be served. Continued development and expansion of the Barry community are promoted to keep pace with the growth and excellence of the educational programs and to meet the needs of the ever-increasing student population.
For more information about the Barry University School of Adult Continuing Education (ACE) Program, download the flyer here.