EMHC Formation Workshops and Registration
The administration of Holy Communion at Mass is an important liturgical ministry in the parishes of our Diocese. In addition to bringing the Sacrament of the Body and Blood of Christ to the people of God, Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion witness the real presence of Christ by their actions and by the dignity and reverence with which they treat the Body of Christ.
Who can participate?
- Fully initiated, active members of a parish
- Be of sufficient age (at least 15 years old), maturity and temperament to undertake this ministry
- Not impediment to receiving Holy Communion and participate in the Sacramental life of the Church
- Be physically able to exercise this ministry
- Please review the complete Norms for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion available in both English and Spanish.
Please note registering for an EMHC workshop only guarantees admittance to the workshop. It does NOT guarantee a mandate from the bishop to participate in this ministry. A petition with the pastor’s signature attesting to the candidates suitability must be sent to the Office of Liturgy.
Click here to view the locations for the desired workshops. Click on the location of the desired workshop to register. All workshops are 9:00 am-12:30 pm unless otherwise noted. Click here to view the most current EMHC Formation Workshop Schedule in PDF format.
Some items to remember when submitting the Petition for Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion:
- The downloadable petition is a fillable PDF document. The requested information must be filled in electronically or typed. The bishop’s signature will not be affixed to handwritten documents.
- The original petition and the $10 registration fee (if paying by check) must be received together in the Office of Liturgy for processing before the desired training date.
- Because the pastor’s signature is necessary, no faxes, emails, or phone call registrations will be accepted. The original petition must be on file in the Office of Liturgy.
- Online registration closes at 12:00 p.m. the Wednesday prior to the scheduled workshop. Walk-ins to EMHC workshops cannot be accepted.
- The online registration only guarantees admittance to the workshop – it does not guarantee a mandate from the bishop to participate in this ministry.
- The $10 fee for the workshop can be made either with a check or a credit card. If paying by check, the check must be enclosed with petition when mailed to the Office of Liturgy. If the parish is covering the registration cost, be sure to select “pay by check” under payment method during the registration process.
It is most appropriate to celebrate the Order of Commissioning of Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion when a new group of EMHCs has been mandated for the parish. The ritual is found in the Book of Blessings, chapter 63. It is not necessary to repeat this commissioning for those who are renewing a previously issued mandate.
- All EMHCs should be partaking in regular formation such as parish missions, mornings of reflection, parish bible study programs, etc.
- Renewal of EMHC Mandate lists may only contain individuals whose mandates are expiring in the calendar year the Petition for the Renewal of Mandate for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion is filed.
- Individuals whose mandate lapses must retake the initial diocesan EMHC formation training and follow the process for NEW EMHCs as outlined on the EMHC Formation webpage.
- There is no cost associated for the renewal of EMHC mandates.
Questions may be directed to your parish EMHC Coordinator.
Order for the Commissioning of Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion (within Mass)