Marriage SPA—Spiritual, Practical & Affirming!
The Marriage SPA is a fun, interactive, informative day, planned and facilitated by professionals and trained personnel for the purpose of Marriage Enrichment. The purpose of the SPA is multifaceted: It is Spiritual, Practical and Affirming. It was created by the Family Life Office in an effort to provide, inexpensive, Catholic faith-based, marriage enrichment for couples married for any length of time and it’s continuation at the host parish.
In SPA three presentations are given: Building Intimacy Through Resolving Conflict, Celebrating Differences and Reviewing the Vows. Between the presentations couples meet and build community with other couples who share the same values and concerns.
WHEN ASKED WHAT PARTICIPANTS LIKED, THEY RESPONDED:
- The Not-So-Newly-Wed game was really fun
- All the topics presented in the SPA were FANTASTIC! Educational! I highly recommend this day
- The cake and sharing with a prayer candle, thanking each other for support and joy
- This wasn’t just a day, it was time for us and what a treat.
- The variety of topics applicable for married couples of all stages
- the exercises we did as couples
- Dynamic speakers and interactive games
- The focus on the positive aspects of our married life
- The opportunity to learn new reasons to appreciate each other
- Restating our Vows
- The explanation of sacred space
WHEN ASKED ABOUT ANY NEW INSIGHTS, THE PARTICIPANTS WROTE:
- How to communicate and be aware of each others feelings
- To be more of a listener than a talker
- Awareness of differences between introvert and extrovert
- Discovering the needs men and women have, men want to be respected while women want to be cherished
- The importance of empathy in marriage
- The tool of mirroring for greater communication
- A renewal and a new aspect of a prior experience
- There are no small problems
- Our vows are life giving and lived daily
- Learning that conflict may be my unwillingness or willingness to contribute
- Balance of passion and security
- The actions to be watchful of that can be especially harmful to a relationship or indicate severe trouble
- How to make the time to talk – how to identify characteristics in myself
- How important it is to cherish my wife
- To recall my spouse’s feelings, both good and bad
When is the next Marriage SPA?
Contact the Office of Family Life & Pastoral Care at (407) 246-4865.