EMHC Formation Workshops and Registration
The administration of Holy Communion at Mass is an important liturgical ministry in the parishes of our Diocese. In addition to bringing the Sacrament of the Body and Blood of Christ to the people of God, Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion witness to faith in the real presence of Christ by their actions and by the dignity and reverence with which they treat the Body of Christ.
Those who fulfill this ministry are to be fully initiated, active members of a parish. They should be of sufficient age (at least 15 years old), maturity and temperament to undertake this ministry. They must have no impediment to receiving Holy Communion and participate in the Sacramental life of the Church. Candidates should be physically able to exercise this ministry. Please review the complete Norms for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion available in both English and Spanish.
Please note registering for an EMHC workshop only guarantees admittance to the workshop. It does NOT guarantee a mandate from the bishop to participate in this ministry. A petition with the pastor’s signature attesting to the candidates suitability must be sent to the Office of Liturgy.
Click here to view the locations for the desired workshops. Click on the location of the desired workshop to register. The letters in parentheses following each location indicate the deanery of the location. All workshops are 9:00 am-12:30 pm unless otherwise noted. Click here to view the most current EMHC Formation Workshop Schedule in PDF format.
Preparation for this ministry includes:
- Formal instruction through the Office of Liturgy by attending a diocesan EMHC workshop. The EMHC workshop includes topics on liturgical ministry, the Mass, theology of the Eucharist, the Paschal Mystery and a review of diocesan guidelines.
- Onsite parish instruction as to local customs and responsibilities, hands-on practice, knowledge, and understanding of parish procedures and responsibilities and an opportunity for sharing with others in the ministry.
When the Pastor has determined that a given candidate meets the basic requirements outlined above, the Pastor or his representative is to submit the Petition for Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion along with the $10 registration fee (if paying by check) to the Office of Liturgy. The petition and other relevant documents can be obtained on this webpage below. In addition to correctly filled out petition, the candidate is registered for the desired EMHC workshop online. Links to the registration for current EMHC formation sessions being offered are below. If the parish is sending payment for the candidate, please select “pay by check” under payment options when completing the registration online. The check must be mailed with the completed petition. After the diocesan training is completed and all forms have been received and processed by the Office of Liturgy, the mandate is issued by the Bishop of the Diocese of Orlando for five years, expiring on December 31st of the fifth year.
Some items to remember when submitting the Petition for Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion:
- The downloadable petition is a fillable PDF document. The requested information must be filled in electronically or typed. The bishop’s signature will not be affixed to handwritten documents.
- The original petition and the $10 registration fee (if paying by check) must be received together in the Office of Liturgy for processing before the desired training date.
- Because the pastor’s signature is necessary to attest to an individual’s suitability, no faxes, emails, or phone call registrations will be accepted. The original petition must be on file in the Office of Liturgy.
- Online registration closes at 12:00 p.m. the Wednesday prior to the scheduled workshop. Walk-ins to EMHC workshops cannot be accepted.
- The online registration only guarantees admittance to the workshop – it does not guarantee a mandate from the bishop to participate in this ministry.
- The $10 fee for the workshop can be made either with a check or a credit card. If paying by check, the check must be enclosed with petition when mailed to the Office of Liturgy. If the parish is covering the registration cost, be sure to select “pay by check” under payment method during the registration process.
- A complete list of available workshops and links to register are below.
It is most appropriate to celebrate the Order of Commissioning of Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion when a new group of EMHCs has been mandated for the parish. The ritual is found in the Book of Blessings, chapter 63. The Office of Liturgy has provided a downloadable version of this blessing as well as a certificate of commissioning on this webpage below under EMHC Documents. It is not necessary to repeat this commissioning for those who are renewing a previously issued mandate.
Renewal of Mandate for Currently Mandated EMHCs
Beginning in January 2018, the process for the renewal of mandates issued by Bishop Noonan will change. If the pastor of a given parish wishes to request a renewal of the EMHC mandate that is to expire for a given individual, they must submit the appropriate form “Petition for the Renewal of Mandate for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion.” (EMHC) The petition for renewal may be used for single or multiple individuals by attaching a separate page containing the name(s) of the individual(s). As stated on the original petition submitted for NEW EMHCs, the Pastor is responsible to ensure that each individual EMHC receives ongoing formation throughout the five year period. As mandates are only valid for a five year period, those who wish to continue this ministry will receive a new mandate. However, the mandate will be recorded clerically in the Office of Liturgy. The Petition for the Renewal of Mandate will be signed by the Bishop and returned to the parish with the attached list of names. This information is to be recorded at the parish with appropriate notation made in the individual ministry file of the EMHC. Below is the step by step process for Renewal. The Petition for the Renewal of Mandate for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion may be found below under EMHC Documents.
Renewal of EMHC Mandate Process:
- The Pastor completes and signs the Petition for Renewal of Mandate for EMHCs.
- The list of names of those whose mandates are expiring and that the Pastor wishes to renew upon their consent and eligibility is attached to the petition. The list may only contain those whose mandates are expiring the current calendar year.
- The petition and the list are then sent to the Office of Liturgy for processing.
- The Office of Liturgy will contact the parish EMHC Coordinator with any discrepancies.
- Once the EMHC database has been updated, the bishop’s signature will be affixed to the Continuation of EMHC Ministry Petition granting a new 5 year mandate for those names on the submitted list and returned to the parish for record keeping.
- All EMHCs should be partaking in regular formation. Examples of what the pastor may deem appropriate include: parish missions, mornings of reflection, parish bible study programs, diocesan and parish programs based on the Eucharist, and virtual workshops on the EMHC ministry from Liturgy Training Publications.
- Renewal of EMHC Mandate lists may only contain those individuals whose mandates are expiring in the calendar year the Petition for the Renewal of Mandate for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion is filed.
- As in the past, any individual whose mandate lapses must retake the initial diocesan EMHC formation training and follow the process for NEW EMHCs as outlined on the EMHC Formation webpage.
- There is no cost associated for the renewal of EMHC mandates.
Questions may be directed to your parish EMHC Coordinator, who coordinates the EMHC mandating process and renewal process with the Offices of Liturgy and Music.
Norms for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion
Normas para los Ministros Extraordinarios de la Sagrada Comunión
Petition for Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion
Petition for the Renewal of Mandate
English – Español
Certificate of Commissioning-Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion
Order for the Commissioning of Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion (within Mass)
Host an EMHC & Reader Workshop
If you would like to host EMHC and/or Reader Workshops at your parish, please call Kathleen Elbert at the Office of Music & Liturgy at 407-246-4860 or email email@example.com.